Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Easy Weeknight Pasta I: Noodle Stir Fry

With an 8- and 6-year-old in the house, so much is at stake with every meal... Not only does there need to be enough nutrition, but every meal is also an opportunity to develop good manners, good attitudes about food, and general family bonding. There are so many expectations, and so little time. I somehow manage to do enough to keep everyone fed and fuel my culinary passions, but part of my sport is to also make meals that don't consume too much time.

Pasta is a definite go-to at dinner time. No matter what I do to it, I seem have one less food battle on my hands whenever I make pasta.

Welcome to the first of a series I like to call Easy Weeknight Pasta! For this installment of EWP, I took my inspiration from one of my favorite noodle dishes, Pad Thai. Noodles are stir-fried with vegetables, a handful of beans, a handful of nuts, and a flavorful sauce, and finished with aromatic herbs. My version does not claim to replace the Pad Thai of the world, but it definitely fills a void of flavorful stir-fried noodles on a busy Wednesday night...

Noodle Stir Fry

The noodles:
1 lb whole wheat gemelli pasta

The veggies:
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 onion, chopped (1 cup)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small eggplant, cubed (1 1/2 cup)
a handful of shredded cabagge (1 cup)
a handful of sliced cremini mushrooms (1 1/2 cup)
a handful of garbanzo beans (1 cup)
a handful of slivered almonds (1/2 cup)

The sauce:
1/2 cup ketchup
2 teaspoon store-bought curry paste
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce

The finish:
1 beaten egg
3 large basil leaves (thinly sliced)

1- Boil the pasta until tender.

2- In wok or large skillet, heat oil. Saute onions and garlic in oil.

3- Add all veggies and saute until golden, tossing frequently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

4- In a small bowl, combine all sauce ingredients and mix well.

5- Add noodles, sauce, and finish ingredients to the vegetables and cook on high until heated through, tossing constantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment