Saturday, August 28, 2010

Vegetable Mole Tacos

Long-time family friend and fellow hopeless foodie Jon "The Geek" Harmon recently caused a culinary stir here in Austin when he ate and blogged about the entire menu at a local favorite taco dive, Tacodeli. As a token for his efforts, the restaurant named a delicious taco after him and allowed him to design it. This past week was Jon The Geek Week at Tacodeli, and I got to eat the Jon the Geek special. It was so scrumptious, I wish I had ordered two! Dan, unfortunately, could not try it because Tacodeli's mole sauce has cashews in it (which he may be allergic to).

I had been wanting to make a mushroom mole dish for a while, and Jon's creation inspired me to make some mole tacos Dan could eat. These came out very yummy, and to add my joy, Daniela helped me make them. She jumped right in, declaring her love for sauteing vegetables. I never thought I would say this, but I have Nintendo's Cooking Mama to thank for this. :-)

The first time I made these, I used storebought mole sauce (La Coste~na brand) and really liked them. But, I have since then updated the recipe to use my homemade crockpot mole. As all things from scratch, that was even better.

Vegetable Mole Tacos
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 large onion, cut into thin strips
1 green bell peppers, cut into thin strips
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 small eggplant, cut into thin strips
1 lb assorted mushrooms (I used a mix of portabellas and cremini), thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup mole sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 avocado, sliced
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
8 warm tortillas (I prefer corn)

1- Heat oil in a large pan. Saute all vegetables until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper.

2- Add mole and water and mix well. Cook on medium until heated through.

3- Divide the mixture among the tortillas, and top with avocado and cheese.

6 comments:

  1. That sounds great! I definitely have to learn to make a Jon the Geek Special variant, so I can make it the next time I'm in Michigan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so yummy Maria! Can I find that brand of mole at HEB? Will have to look. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Libby - I used La Coste~na, which I found at Central Market:

    http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Rim-Gourmet-Costena-Mole/dp/B0000U1OMI

    It has a short list of ingredients, and tasted pretty great! I still want to come up with my own, though... I have made it from scratch before and is is delish. I want to make it in the crockpot, since I have very little time to cook these days. I found something that looks promising, so now I just have to tweak it and make it appropriate for my blog (read: veganize it). Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to say... I am pretty sure you can find La Coste~na at regular HEB as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got some Mole on my hands and I'm on a month long Vegetarian Challenge, was wondering how I could still enjoy this mole, thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete