Sunday, February 28, 2010

Tofu Chorizo Hash

Every Christmas season, as I watch (many times) how the Grinch steals the last can of Who-Hash, I am reminded of how much I loved that most flavorful of comfort dishes from my childhood, corned beef hash. And how much I have missed it since giving up meat 20 years ago.

I had a duty to myself and other vegetarians to fill that void with an appropriate replacement. Here it is, my friends. I present to you sunny-side up egg's best friend:

Tofu Chorizo Hash
1/2 lb firm, water-packed tofu, drained well
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
2 tablespoons water
salt and pepper to taste

1- Freeze the tofu, then thaw it. Place the slices in a strainer on top of the sink and press with the back of a spatula until liquid is squeezed out.

2- On a large skillet over medium-high, heat oil. Add onions and garlic, and cook for about 5 minutes, until tender.

3- Add tofu, soy sauce, tomato paste, and paprika. Cook for about 5 minutes, scraping browned bits from bottom of pan frequently.

4- Add potatoes and 1 tablespoon water, and cook on low covered for about 8 minutes, scraping bottom of pan every couple of minutes, until potatoes are heated through. You might need to add more water, if it becomes too dry to scrape the bottom of the pan.

5- Taste and season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment