Sunday, January 10, 2010

Slow-Cooker Spinach-Artichoke Dip

Spinach-Artichoke dip is, hands-down, my favorite warm dip. I think it makes an excellent appetizer or entree. I love tossing the leftovers with pasta.

The slow-cooker spinach goo recipe from the Meal Makeover Moms blog inspired me to add in a few modifications and turn it into a slow-cooker version of the dip. I replaced the eggs with a couple of tablespoons of oil (because my son is allergic to eggs), and replaced the cheddar cheese with Gruyere.

This came in handy one early Sunday morning, when I found myself with a tub of cottage cheese that needed to be used ASAP. It all went into the slow-cooker in 5 minutes, and lunch was ready when we got back home from church.

This recipe is suitable for a 4-qt slow-cooker.

Slow-Cooker Spinach-Artichoke Dip

2 tablespoons canola oil
16 ounces 1% cottage cheese
10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
1 cup frozen artichoke quarters, thawed
1 ½ cups Gruyere cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon black pepper

Put all ingredients in greased slow-cooker insert. Cook on low for 3-4 hours.

Nutrition Facts
Yields 8 servings
Serving Size 127 g (about 3/4 cup)
Calories 217
Calories from Fat 122
Total Fat 13.6g 21%
Saturated Fat 6.5g 33%
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 32mg 11%
Sodium 485mg 20%
Total Carbohydrates 6.9g 2%
Dietary Fiber 0.9g 4%
Sugars 0.5g
Protein 16.9g
Vitamin A 72% • Vitamin C 17%
Calcium 30% • Iron 8%
Nutrition Grade B
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment