Saturday, January 2, 2010

Lentilburger Macaroni & Cheese

This is my answer to meatless hamburger macaroni and cheese, which rates high among kids. My two kids paid me the highest compliment by requesting I put the leftovers in their lunch boxes. :)

Both cheese and tomatoes have a high umami factor, which makes this dish have that stick-to-the-ribs feel.

Lentilburger Macaroni & Cheese


1/4 cup brown lentils
3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
2 springs of fresh oregano
1 1/2 cup fat-free milk
2 tablespoons flour
4 oz lowfat American cheese
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1/4 cup feta cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 lb spiral shaped pasta
1 cup frozen peas
salt and pepper to taste

1- Prepare lentil sauce: Boil the lentils in water until tender for about 20 minutes. Drain, and return to pan. Add tomatoes, garlic, and leaves from oregano leaves. Continue cooking on low for another 5-8 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

2- Prepare cheese sauce: Whisk milk and flour together and cook until thick (I do this in the microwave - cook on high for 3 minutes, stirring every minute). Add cheeses and stir until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

3- Boil pasta until tender. Add peas about 1 minute before draining.

4- Mix pasta and sauces in a large serving bowl. Top with some more Parmesan cheese.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 121 g
Calories 237
Calories from Fat 70
Total Fat 7.8g 12%
Saturated Fat 4.4g 22%
Cholesterol 50mg 17%
Sodium 278mg 12%
Total Carbohydrates 29.1g 10%
Dietary Fiber 2.1g 8%
Sugars 3.4g
Protein 12.6g
Vitamin A 13% • Vitamin C 5%
Calcium 21% • Iron 11%
Nutrition Grade B
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the inspiration Maria! I made the Lentilburger Mac/Cheese. It didn't take long and is quite tasty. I did substitute canned lentil beans for dried beans. I wasn't sure how to convert from dried to canned, so I added about half the can. I think using the whole can would work. I also used small shells for my pasta choice. It might be good to note that american cheese is velveeta or american singles.

    ReplyDelete