Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Crystallized Ginger and Brown Sugar Oatmeal

A recent posting on the Vegan Lunch Box was of tremendous inspiration to me. I found her fruit/nut/flavoring combinations mouthwatering, and the website she referenced as her inspiration had all sorts of good ideas as well! I've always been an oatmeal lover, and there is no oatmeal like the one my mom made me when I was a kid. She's tried to teach me how to make it several times, and her secret is to cook it in the stove top. I unfortunately have no time for that in the morning... but I do have time for this exciting little number:

Crystallized Ginger and Brown Sugar Oatmeal

1/2 cup(s) uncooked old fashioned oats
1 Tbsp wheat germ
1 Tbsp ground flax seed meal
2 Tbsp non-fat instant dry powdered milk
1 piece(s) crystallized ginger, minced
1 Tbsp sliced almonds
1/8 tsp table salt
1 tsp olive oil
2 cup(s) water
1/2 Tbsp unpacked brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a large microwave safe dish. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.

UPDATE: Tonight I mixed power oatmeal for a week. This makes about 10 servings:

2 3/4 cup(s) uncooked old fashioned oats
7 Tbsp wheat germ
7 Tbsp ground flax seed meal
10 Tbsp unpacked brown sugar
10 Tbsp non-fat instant dry powdered milk
7 piece(s) crystallized ginger
1/4 cup(s) almonds, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Keep in refrigerator in an airtight container until ready to use.

To prepare a single serving: Mix 1/2 cup of mix with 1 teaspoon oil and 1 1/2 cups water. Microwave for 2.5 minutes on high.

1 comment:

  1. I am so going to get Mike to make this for me.
    Thanks for the awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete