Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Lentil-Cheese Chimichangas

An episode of Gordon Ramsay's "Kitchen Nightmares" show rescued a Mexican restaurant the other day. It reminded that I've been meaning to play with a vegetarian version of a childhood favorite of mine, the chimichanga.

I have never seen a healthy, vegetarian version of the chimichanga. They are usually stuffed with chicken, pork, or beef, and then they are deep fried. My complete nemesis. That is why I have not eaten one since quitting meat in 1990. It has been long overdue that I remedy that.

My family loved these. I assembled them the night before. Then, I nuked them for 3-5 minutes (until they were hot) before broiling. Buen provecho!

Lentil-Cheese Chimichangas

1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
3/4 cup salsa
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup corn kernels
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used mozzarella)
salt and pepper to taste
8 whole wheat tortillas
1 tablespoon olive oil

1- Place lentils in sauce pan, cover with water and boil for 20 minutes. Drain.

2- Mix cooked lentils, salsa, onion powder, garlic powder, corn, and cheese until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

3- Warm the tortillas in the microwave until pliable, for about 30 seconds.

4- Divide the lentil filling evenly among the tortillas and fold them burrito-style. Place chimichangas seam side down on greased cookie sheet.

5- Brush the chimichangas with the olive oil. Broil for 5-10 minutes, until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment